fbpx
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

March 4, 2015

A Widower’s Tribute: The Waddell Fountain in Central Park

 

Drawing of the Waddell Fountain

The Story

The Waddell Fountain in Winnipeg’s Central park is named after Emily Margaret Waddell. Emily and her husband Thomas, a local temperance leader, moved to Winnipeg in the early 1880s.

The couple was childless, and lived on Sargent Avenue near Central Park prior to her death. On January 23, 1909, Emily passed away in Rochester, Minnesota, after a serious operation.

A “before” photo from the 2010 restoration.

In 1911, Thomas and the City of Winnipeg were informed of Emily’s 1904, which stated that if he planned to remarry, he must donate $10,000 to the City for the construction of a fountain in Central Park in her memory.

Thomas already had plans to remarry, but did not have the funds for the fountain. Finally, in 1914, he succeeded in saving up the money, and the fountain was built.

The Fountain

Built in 1914, at a cost of $9,722.19, the Waddell Fountain was designed by Winnipeg Architect John Manuel, who was later also responsible for the University of Manitoba Science Laboratory (1919-1920) and a two storey expansion of the Science Building at the Fort Garry Campus (1923).

Architect’s drawing of the Waddell Fountain, circa 1914, courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

The Fountain was modelled after the Scott Monument in Edinburgh, Scotland, which was built in 1844 as a tribute to Sir Walter Scott, a writer known for popularizing Gothic styles of architecture and literature. As such, the monument reflects the trend towards excessive ornamentation of the Gothic era.

The Fountain is a rare example of High Victorian Gothic Revival Architecture and was considered very elaborately ornamented by the standards of 1914 Winnipeg.

Note the missing piece from the top – photo circa 1988, courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

The structure consists of white stone on a granite base, with a concrete basement to house the water pump – the four water spouts are housed within lions’ heads, one on each side of the fountain. The William Penn Stone Company of Minneapolis did the stonework, with all of the stone cutting and dressing done within the City of Winnipeg.

Close-up of one of the lion’s heads, after the 2010 restoration.

Vandalism damaged parts of the original structure over the years, including the removal of the delicate star finial from the top.

Recent Developments

Councillor Harvey Smith accepting on behalf of the City of Winnipeg.

In 2010, the Waddell Fountain was restored by the City of Winnipeg, and received a preservation award from Heritage Winnipeg as a result of their efforts, along with Cohlmeyer Architecture Ltd. and Alpha Masonry. Below are some of the photos from the restoration process:

The fountain was dismantled from its location and moved to the stone mason’s shop where the pieces were worked on. Indiana limestone was used with colours matching the original limestone. New pieces were carved to replace the missing and damaged pieces in order to restore the detailed design.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

logo

 / Recent Blogs

May 19, 2022

Celebrating Neighbourhoods: Doors Open Winnipeg 2022

It’s May, which means Heritage Winnipeg’s favourite weekend of the year is quickly approaching! That’s right, we are happy to say that our 19th annual Doors Open Winnipeg is happening on Saturday, May 28, and Sunday, May 29! After hosting a safe and successful event in September 2021, we are looking forward to celebrating the…

April 13, 2022

J.C. Falls House: Crumbling but History not Forgotten

For the past couple of months, the historic J.C. Falls House at 36 Roslyn Road has been a topic of discussion due to its crumbling structure. Unfortunately, this recognized heritage building is on the brink of losing its historical designation. This blog will not only explore the building’s history but also try to unpack how…

March 16, 2022

Renovated & Restored History: The Ukrainian Labour Temple

It is now March and our 36th Annual Preservation Awards are fast approaching! We are proud to announce that this year’s awards will be hosted at the Ukrainian Labour Temple, therefore, Heritage Winnipeg thought it would be a great idea to showcase and applaud them for the extensive conservation work undertaken. Over the years, Heritage…

February 15, 2022

Looking Back at the Home of Tomorrow!

The mid-20th century was a time of constant technological innovation. New and exciting electrical devices promised to save time and effort, radically changing the way Canadians lived their lives and interacted with their homes. Model homes showing these exciting displays were often boldly declared the home of the future, or the home of tomorrow. Winnipeg…

January 6, 2022

Breaking Ground in Winnipeg’s West End: The First English Lutheran Church

Located in Winnipeg’s West End at 484 Maryland Street, is the First English Lutheran Church building, now known as City Church. Immediately upon arriving, one is struck by the building’s Gothic architecture and the large, beautiful stained glass rose window welcoming you above the front entrance. The building’s exterior is impressive, however, what is equally…

December 9, 2021

Winter Wonderland at the Forks: A Winnipeg Tradition

It’s December, which means Winnipeg’s historic Forks site is bustling with holiday shoppers, friends, and families meeting to go skating or grabbing food in The Forks Market. As one of the city’s most popular tourist sites, it is no surprise that The Forks generates a year-round crowd, however, there is something special to be said…

Subscribe to Heritage Winnipeg Blog