Dalnavert Museum - 61 Carlton Street

UPDATE NOVEMBER 28, 2014

Study to probe reopening Dalnavert Museum (Winnipeg Free Press November 23, 2014)

UPDATE NOVEMBER 7, 2014

Heritage Winnipeg Blog Post about the history of Dalnavert
TOWN HALL MEETING NOV. 22, 2014 - see you there!
 

UPDATE MAY 30, 2014

Dalnavert's Backers Upbeat (Winnipeg Free Press May 25, 2014)
Dalnavert Meeting to Be Held Today Despite Pullout by Candace House (Winnipeg Free Press May 23, 2014)
Candace House withdraws proposal for Dalnavert Museum (Winnipeg Free Press May 23, 2014)
Museum's Future Goes to Vote (Winnipeg Free Press May 23, 2014)
 

UPDATE MAY 6, 2014 - FRIENDS OF DALNAVERT

Friends of Dalnavert Museum Proposal
 
UPDATE MAY 5, 2014

Museums want Dalnavert's Share (Winnipeg Free Press May 1, 2014)
Candace House in tradition of Dalnavert (Winnipeg Free Press April 30, 2014)
Dalnavert - Candace House partnership sound (Winnipeg Free Press April 30, 2014)

 
UPDATE APRIL 23, 2014

"The Friends of Dalnavert say they can recruit the experts needed to keep Dalnavert a viable attraction rather than see its owner, the Manitoba Historical Society, turn over the keys to Candace House, a centre for victims of crime who have to attend to or testify at the Law Courts Building or in provincial court."

Still Hope For Dalnavert: Friends (Winnipeg Free Press)

 
UPDATE APRIL 17, 2014

"The Manitoba Historical Society has agreed to transfer Dalnavert Museum to Candace House Inc., a non-profit support centre for the victims of crime." (taken from "Dalnavert To Reopen as Support Centre", Winnipeg Free Press)

To read the full article, please click the link below:

Dalnavert To Reopen as Support Centre (Winnipeg Free Press)

 

A NATIONAL HISTORIC TREASURE - DALNAVERT MUSEUM

Sir Hugh John Macdonald, son of John A. Macdonald (Canada's first prime minister), purchased the property at 61 Carlton Street, where a home for his family was to be built and named Dalnavert. Constructed in 1895, the Dalnavert House reflects Victorian-era architectural style. Lady MacDonald sold Dalnavert after Sir Hugh John Macdonald died in 1929, and it became a boarding house until it was purchased almost 40 years later by Lakeview Developments Company. Their intention was to tear down the house and build an apartment building in its place, at which point, the Manitoba Historical Society stepped in and raised enough money to purchase the home from the company so as to preserve the home's legacy. In 1974, the Dalnavert was restored and re-opened as a museum with guided tours. In September 30, 1987, Dalnavert became a provincially designated site and became a National Historic Site in 1990. For more historic information on Dalnavert, please click here

After a surprise closure following Labor Day in September 2013, the fate of the historic Dalnavert Museum has yet to be determined. This sudden closure frustrated many of the volunteers who came to work one day only to find the doors locked without any advanced notice. Low attendance rates in conjunction with the cost to keep the museum running played a big role in the decision to close its doors. The Manitoba Historical Society has been spending these past winter months deliberating on and trying to reach an acceptable solution on how to proceed regarding this important Winnipeg landmark. For more information regarding the closing of Dalnavert, please read the following Winnipeg Free Press articles:


Historic Dalnavert Shuttered
Heritage Community Seeks to Save Dalnavert
Dalnavert Museum's Glimmer of Hope

Heritage Winnipeg along with other stakeholders have formed the Friends of Dalnavert Museum and responded to a recent request for proposals from The Manitoba Historical Society.  We are currently working to move forward to look at all options to re-open this historic and unique museum.  2014 marks the 40th anniversary of the opening of Dalnavert Museum. 

Crocus Building renamed the McKim Building

Heritage Winnipeg is very pleased to announce the Crocus building, located at 211 Bannatyne Avenue, in the Exchange District, a national historic site, (formerly named the J.H. Ashdown Hardware Store) is now officially called The McKim Building, named for McKim Communications Group - www.mckimcg.ca.  For years many Winnipeggers have been waiting patiently for this historic building to be renamed.  A brand new sign is now shining high above the sidewalk on the Main Street facade. Congratulations!


McKim Communications Group Media Release - dated January 11, 2017:
McKimBldgRenaming

Links to media coverage:
CBC News
Winnipeg Sun

City of Winnipeg historical report
 

Save 514 Wellington Crescent!

This historic and stunning home has stood on the corner of Wellington Crescent and Kingsway, adjacent to St. Mary’s Academy since 1909. The home’s official name is the Gordon residence, named for its first owner James T. Gordon,  who worked in the meat packing business. It is a beautifully built home, and Winnipeg will likely never see the likes of it again if it is demolished.



It not only has great architectural value, but a rich social history, with many prominent families calling it home over the years. During the 1920s the Bawlf family, who founded the Grain Exchange owned the home, and the Grain Exchange had a huge impact on the development of Winnipeg as a City.  During the 1940s, Victor Sifton, the owner and publisher of the Winnipeg Free Press, lived in this home and until earlier this year, the home was owned by former Senator Douglas Everett who maintained it meticulously. Currently Leader Equity Partners, a Winnipeg development firm, have purchased the 107-year-old, 8,000-square-foot home, and potentially want to demolish it to build a new condo development on the property.  

Along with Heritage Winnipeg many people in the heritage community are outraged, and many of the residents of the Crescentwood Association are rallying to help save the home. Visit save514wellington.com for more information, and click here to add your name to the petition to help save this beautiful historic home.

Dennistoun House - 166 Roslyn Road



UPDATE:
Century-old Osborne Village home could be bulldozed for development (CTV News September 15, 2015)
End of the line looms for historic Dennistoun House (Winnipeg Free Press September 8, 2015)
"Residents wishing to ask questions or register objections can attend the meeting at 6pm at City Hall on Sept. 16"

 


Robert Maxwell Dennistoun was a specialist in corporate law and came to Winnipeg in 1907 to represent several influential corporations. He drew up Manitoba’s first workman’s compensation act. In addition to a respected career as a lawyer and judge, Dennistoun kept a parallel military career.

The Honorable Robert Maxwell Dennistoun commissioned prominent architect John Atchinson to design a house for his family in 1908 at 166 Roslyn Road in the Osborne Village area of Winnipeg. Atchinson had designed a large number of prominent Winnipeg buildings by that time. He designed Dennistoun house in Tudor style, commonly used for upper-class residences between 1890 and 1940 in North America.

Distinguishing features of the Tudor style are:

  • Steep-pitched roof on cross gable
  • Decorative half timbering with an infill of stucco
  • Portions of the walls finished in brick veneer
  • Elaborate gothic arched entranceway with quoins of stone
  • Doors and side transoms are glazed with leaded glass in small panes

Winnipeg declared Dennistoun House a grade 3 historic building on its Buildings Conservation List in 1984 due to its architectural significance and integrity. It was also placed on the list based on the historical interest surrounding the man who erected it and its importance of the surrounding area, which during the early 1900’s became the district of stately banker’s homes.

In 1977 the house was bought and converted into a five-unit rental property.

When this owner passed in 2006 the heirs decided they were no longer operating this building as a rental property. A development team on behalf of the owners applied to the city for the delisting of the Dennistoun House.

The City’s Historical Buildings Committee inspected Dennistoun House and concluded it was a good example of the Tudor style designed by Mr. Atchinson and the heritage values of the house had not changed since its listing in 1984. The HBC recommended the Dennistoun House not be delisted.

On June 2 2009, “the Standing Committee did not concur with the recommendation of the HBC and recommended instead that Dennistoun House be removed from the Building Conservation List; that no demolition permits be issued before building permits are issued; and that City officials be authorized to implement the intent of this recommendation”.

The city’s Executive Policy Committee agreed with the Standing Committee.

The matter went to Council on June 24 2009. Council was given all materials generated or considered for the application to delist including:

-       HBC’s March 20 2009 letter

-       Report dated October 9, 1984

-       The Standing Policy Committee and Executive Policy Committee minutes of meetings

-       Any presentations given to these committee’s

-       Developer’s report that included City’s Planning Property and Development department’s response, a letter from an architect regarding the feasibility of integrating Dennistoun House into the Development and newspaper reports

-       Written submissions and petition from a number of citizens

-       Delegations for and against the recommendation also addressed City Council in person including Ms. Lukovich of Osborne Village Neighborhood Association and the Executive Director of Heritage Winnipeg who were against the recommendation

City Council was made aware of the “impact its decision may have on the neighborhood, and from a policy or precedent standpoint” as well as the Osborne Village Plan.

City Council decided by a majority vote to concur with the recommendation made by the Standing Policy Committee and agreed to by the Executive Policy Committee, to remove Dennistoun House from the Buildings Conservation List. This decision enables the historic homes potential for demolition and replacement with a condominium complex.

Members of the Osborne Village Neighborhood Association with the support of Heritage Winnipeg sought a judicial review for an order to quash the decision made by city council.

A strong argument was made in regards to the heritage element of the Osborne Village Plan on demolition of historic buildings:

7.1.6.A             Discourage the demolition of historic or architecturally significant buildings or structures. Demolition shall be considered as a last resort, and should only be considered when buildings are determined to be structurally unsound beyond repair by an independent structural engineering report. Economic viability should not be the sole determining factor;

7.1.6.B            Prior to consideration of a proposal for the demolition of a historic building or structure, a formal independent consultant’s report on the physical condition and economic viability of retaining the building should be prepared for review by the City. The consultant’s report is to be carried out at the expense of the applicant.

In July 2010 The Judge found that the “requirements of section 7.1.6 of the Osborne Village Plan were not mandatory but rather permissive and intended to be subjectively assessed by City Council” in making their opinion. He also found City Councils decision to delist to be “consistent” with both Plan Winnipeg and the Osborne Village Plan. Furthermore he found that City Council acted within its jurisdiction in removing Dennistoun House from the list and dismissed the application.

For further information on either the Judge’s decision or the Historical Report please click on the links below.

Sources:

The Judge’s decision July 2010

Historical Buildings Committee Report October 9, 1984

           



Upper Fort Garry

UPDATE:
Friends of Fort Garry appealing denial of short-term parking lot (Winnipeg Free Press May 4, 2015)
Temporary lot for Upper Fort Garry project denied (CTV News May 4, 2015)
Still seeking parking lot for park (Winnipeg Free Press May 5, 2015)
Committee allows Friends of Upper Fort Garry interim parking lot to raise funds (Winnipeg Free Press May 25, 2015)
 
UPDATE:
Friends of Upper Fort Garry say park's primary significiance is the Metis (Winnipeg Free Press October 17, 2014)
Scots slam perceived snub (Winnipeg Free Press, October 17, 2014)
Upper Fort Garry site a provincial park (Winnipeg Free Press, July 16, 2014)
Province Announces Proclamation to Help Develop Park at Upper Fort Garry (Province of Manitoba, July 15, 2014)
Upper Fort Garry park, birthplace of Winnipeg, opens in September (CBC News, July 15, 2014)

Upper Fort Garry is the place where Winnipeg and Manitoba was born and the site of significant historic events. Exciting plans are underway to reclaim and transform this treasure into a $19 million world class heritage park and interpretive centre.
The Friends of Upper Fort Garry are working on the preservation of the original location of Upper Fort Garry, located along Main Street and spanning from Broadway to Assiniboine Avenue. Through the building of Upper Fort Garry Heritage Park and Interpretive Centre, the Friends of Upper Fort Garry aim to generate interest in the history of Winnipeg, MB and Canada and to preserve a historic landmark. Highlights of this unique park include:
  • a design that demarcates the foundations of the original buildings and walls

  • the original Governor’s Gate

  • interpretive and symbolic representations of the fort and the buildings that were once enclosed within its walls

  • installations of art and other creative works within the park will represent the rich history of Upper Fort Garry

  • outdoor gathering spaces for historical events and programs

  • a modern Interpretive Centre that houses meeting facilities and exhibitions.

For more information and updates on the Park's progress, please visit the Friends of Upper Fort Garry Website here



The Scott Block - 272 Main Street

History is not on their side (Winnipeg Free Press, July 23, 2014)
Advocacy Alert: The Scott Block at 272 Main Street (Heritage Winnipeg Blog, July 23, 2014)
HW's Annual Preservation Awards (Heritage Winnipeg, February 17, 2014)

Corticelli Pizzeria


Click image to view as a PDF. Originally published on July 3, 2014, in Issue 2, Volume 11 of The Broadcaster, West Broadway's community newspaper, found online at: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca/broadcaster.

Selkirk Avenue Merchant's Hotel

Education key to Merchants revival (Winnipeg Free Press, July 7, 2014)
Big Boost for Merchants Corner (Winnipeg Free Press, June 30, 2014)
In Conversation with Hijab Mitra (Winnipeg Free Press, June 28, 2014)
Notorious hotel gets new life (Winnipeg Free Press, June 25, 2014)
Merchant's Hotel to be rebuilt as classrooms, affordable housing (Winnipeg Free Press, June 24, 2014)
New plan for old hotel (Winnipeg Free Press, June 17, 2014)

St. Vital Library

Located at 6 Fermor Avenue, St. Vital Library is the first Winnipeg modernist structure to be designated as a historical structure. The library building was designed by architect, George A. Stewart, and resembles a key-shape. It officially opened in June of 1963. The rich history of the building and its significant architectural character-defining elements have led to a Grade III structure designation on the Buildings Conservation List.

For the full report, please click here

Sherbrook Pool

Update March 12, 2014 Sherbrook Pool is expected to be reopened in 2015. Congratulations to the Kinsman Club of Winnipeg for their generous donation to help re-open this historic and very valuable community asset. Community partnerships work!

A Swimmingly Good Time Will Be Had (Winnipeg Free Press)
 
 

 
Located at 381 Sherbrook Street, Sherbrook Pool officially opened in 1931 amidst The Great Depression and helped provide an escape from the troubles Canadians and Winnipegers faced at the time. Since it was the first Olympic-size pool in Winnipeg, it also served as both a training facility and a competition venue. The architecture of the building features an Art Deco style, designed by Ralph Benjamin Pratt and Donald Aynsley Ross.

For more background information on this historical facility, please consult the following documents published by the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee in 2001.

381 Sherbrook Street (Long Version)

381 Sherbrook Street (Short Version)

In November 2012, Sherbrook Pool was closed by the City due to safety issues that arose during an inspection. Upon further assessment, it was found that the cost to repair the building and make it structurally sound would cost more than $2 million, and subsequently maintaining the pool would cost even more. Despite the high costs to fix and run the pool, the community surrounding the area is advocating for its repair as a recreation centre and prefer not to see the historic pool demolished.

UPDATE:  As of December 13, 2013, Mayor Sam Katz said the City is now committed to allocating 1.7 million to re-open the Sherbrook Pool.  The commitment comes after listening to people in the community who made the case for re-investing in the aging facility. The city said the 1.7 million will allow work to begin the pool to make it safe for public use and the pool needs an estimated 2.8 million for repairs and upgrades.
Sherbrook Pool - Gets Reprieve (Winnipeg Free Press)

For previous information on the pool's closure:

Sherbrook Pool - Gets Reprieve (Winnipeg Free Press)

Sherbrook Pool -- Worth Every Cent (Winnipeg Free Press)

Public to be consulted on fate of Sherbrook Pool (Winnipeg Free Press)

Sherbrook Pool closure worries community group (CBC News)

Become a Member
Virtual Library
The Exchange District
Streetcar 356
Online Store
Doors Open

Twitter Feed

Updates from Heritage Winnipeg:


 
Join twitter conversation
 
---