The Fort Garry was built in 1913, and the 2013 Heritage Ball was intended to re-create the hotel's 1913 inaugural event. The Gala had a railroad theme and featured:
- a spectacular dinner in the Crystal Ballroom
- "Speak Easy" Dance and Dessert
- a video of a historical interpretation of the arrival of Dignitaries in 1913 for the Grand Opening of the Fort Garry
- a presentation of the history of the Fort Garry Hotel by Frank Albo, co-author of the Hermetic Code
- Live music by the Danny Kramer Band
- MC - Big Daddy Tazz
APTIS is a charitable organization whose operations are governed by a board of directors. To date, some of their most noteworthy achievements include
- "Raising $2,500,000 in donations prior to having a market presence
- Purchasing land and building in St. Boniface for the future development of a new 40 room facility
- Engaging Bridgman Collaborative Architectures Ltd. to prepare architectural plans and prepare Class B estimates for the new facility
- Committing Ambassador Gary Doer to be the official spokesperson for the organization
- Establishing a market presence by temporarily leasing space from Villa Aulneau until the new facility is complete"
In order for APTIS to achieve its goals, they need to raise the funds needed to support their operations and capital development. They currently have two fundraising campaigns - an operational one to subsidize rental rates paid by guests and a capital one to develop the new facility
Vision for the Future:
APTIS intends to renovate and restore the 210 Rue Mason heritage building. The project is expected to be funded completely through fundraising efforts and donations. This larger space will allow APTIS to better accommodate their guests and allow for intake of more patients. As owners of the facility, APTIS will be in direct control and thus are more unrestricted in making the decisions they see best fit in accordance with their mandate.
For more information, visit their website here.
For more background information on this historical facility, please consult the following documents published by the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee in 2001.
381 Sherbrook Street (Long Version)
381 Sherbrook Street (Short Version)
In November 2012, Sherbrook Pool was closed by the City due to safety issues that arose during an inspection. Upon further assessment, it was found that the cost to repair the building and make it structurally sound would cost more than $2 million, and subsequently maintaining the pool would cost even more. Despite the high costs to fix and run the pool, the community surrounding the area is advocating for its repair as a recreation centre and prefer not to see the historic pool demolished. The City is still working on determining the ultimate fate of Sherbrook Pool. Updates will be posted here as they are received.
For more information on the pool's closure:
Sherbrook Pool -- Worth Every Cent (Winnipeg Free Press)
Public to be consulted on fate of Sherbrook Pool (Winnipeg Free Press)
Sherbrook Pool closure worries community group (CBC News)
Distinguished Youth Form
Please note: The PDF forms can be filled in directly but need to be downloaded and saved to the computer first.
2014 Heritage Winnipeg Awards
Since 1985, Heritage Winnipeg has sponsored an annual awards program that seeks to recognize those people dedicated to the protection, restoration and conservation of Winnipeg's built heritage. Awards are also given to owners of heritage structures who seek to sensitively restore their buildings so that they become a productive element of the economical, cultural and social fabric of the community.
Awards are presented in three basic categories:
- Distinguished Service Award
This award recognizes the special contribution of individuals or organizations that have demonstrated a concerted effort and leadership in protecting, conserving, promoting or communicating the historic and/or architectural values of Winnipeg's built heritage.
- Heritage Conservation Award
This award recognizes the special efforts and excellence in specific projects to protect, conserve and reuse structures of high historic or architectural value. Heritage Conservation Awards may be given specifically for commercial, institutional or residential projects that involve the sensitive and adaptive re-use of these structures and provide for their long-term protection.
Heritage Conservation Awards may be given to the owners of commercial, institutional or residential structures with historical and/or architectural value and who provide long-term protection and conservation of key architectural elements for these structure and their sensitive adaptive use. Special recognition may also be given to consultants and contractors of the project selected for an award.
In the case of a successful residential project, a special award will be given in the honour of C.W. Chivers, a well-known Winnipeg architect who designed buildings such as All Saint's Church, Balmoral Hall and the Assiniboine Park Pavilion.
- Youth Category
This award recognizes the special contribution of non-professionals under the age of 25.
Nominations may be made in more than one category. If possible, please enclose photographs or email digitized photos.
Questions relative to the requirements for a nomination may be directed to Ms. Cindy Tugwell, Heritage Winnipeg Executive Director, by phone (942-2663), fax (942-2094) or e-mail (email@example.com). The deadline for nominations is January 17, 2014. Completed nominations can be mailed to:
Heritage Winnipeg Corporation
#509 - 63 Albert Street
Winners will receive a framed certificate recognizing their effort at a ceremony to be held on National Heritage Day - the third Monday in February.
"We are a diverse community and a new vision for heritage is emerging that will contribute to a new age in Canada. HCF’s 40th Anniversary National Heritage Conference will explore how older communities, cultural landscapes, buildings and intangible heritage are finding new relevance at this watershed moment." [Taken from Heritage Canada's Website]
Formerly a North West Company trading post that was built in 1809, Fort Gibraltar is located at the forks of the Assiniboine and Red Rivers. Over the summer, it serves as a tourist attraction and historical site, providing a look back into the lifestyle of those living in the early 1800s. Costumed interpreters act both as educators and as tour guides as they transport visitors back to the period of the voyageurs and traders.
Throughout the year, there are facilities available to rent for special events or functions. They also host the Festival du Voyageur winter festival in February
"A Brief Historical Summary (taken from the Fort Gibraltar Website)
1809 – The North West Company builds Fort Gibraltar
1816 – Fort Gibraltar is captured and destroyed by the Selkirk Colony
1817 – Fort Gibraltar is rebuilt by the North West Company
1821 – North West Company merges with Hudson’s Bay Company – Fort Gibraltar continues its operations under the Hudson’s Bay company standard
1822 – Fort Gibraltar’s name is changed to Fort Garry
1835 – Fort Garry is abandoned but its warehouses are still used
1852 – Fort Garry is destroyed by the Red River Flood
1978 – Fort Gibraltar is rebuilt by the Festival du Voyageur"
For more information, please visit their website here
For more information, please visit the Red River Heritage Fair Website here
Located about a mile away from the Forks, Armstrong’s Point is a small area of land by the Assiniboine River. It was developed in the 1880s and remains a private and isolated area that many Winnipegers are still unaware of to this day. Armstrong’s Point has been formerly known as Pensioners’ Point, Hill’s Point, and Victoria Place. The land on which this suburban area was built was originally given to Captain Joseph Hill by the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1848. He sold the property in 1881 to John McDonald and E. Rothwell who divided the land into lots thus converting it into a residential area.
As Winnipeg continued to grow and become a commercial centre, the higher class residents no longer desired to live in the central core of the city. They wanted to escape from the chaos, noise, pollution, disease, criminals, and immigrants that filled the City’s centre streets. Armstrong’s Point offered that exclusivity, safety, and peacefulness that the wealthy desired and has since been home to some of Winnipeg’s richest citizens. Many of the homeowners even named their houses. There are three gated entrances that act to further separate and secure the area from the rest of Winnipeg.
"An intact neighbourhood over a century old, Armstrong's Point is valued by residents and visitors alike. Although individual homes and institutions are acknowledged, it's the area itself - the cluster of large, well-maintained older homes - that is most appreciated. Many of these homes have been evaluated for historical significance (a total of 72 neighbourhood buildings are identified in Historical Buildings Conservation Inventory), but only a few homes and structures are on the Historical Buildings Conservation List. These include two residences (one of which is now used as a private club), a library, and the ornamental entry gates." [Taken from Armstrong's Point Planning Study Final Draft, also see Armstrong's Point Appendices for supplementary information]
To find out more about this historical Winnipeg neighborhood, there is a book entitled Armstrong’s Point, by Randy Rostecki, available for purchase from our office. If you would like to make a donation of $100 or greater in addition to your membership to Heritage Winnipeg, you will receive a complimentary copy. Contact our office if you are interested or have any questions.